· Are the news reports of this “defeat device” true?
Government regulations limit the use of engine software that reduces the effectiveness of a vehicle’s emissions control systems. Those are the “defeat device” regulations, and regrettably, VW violated those regulations. We take full responsibility – and deeply regret that this happened.
· Which models are impacted?
The following 2.0L 4-cylinder TDI equipped vehicles are involved:
- VW Jetta TDI (Model Years 2009 – 2015)
- VW Jetta SportWagen TDI (Model Years 2009-2014)
- VW Golf TDI (Model Years 2010-2015)
- VW Golf SportWagen TDI (Model Year 2015)
- VW Beetle TDI and VW Beetle Convertible TDI (Model Years 2012 – 2015)
- VW Passat TDI (Model Years 2012-2015)
· Is my vehicle safe to drive?
It’s important to emphasize that this is an emissions issue and your vehicle is safe to drive.
· Is there a stop sale on TDI models?
Right now, we’ve put a stop sale on all 2.0L 4-cylinder TDI equipped vehicles (new and certified pre-owned) and we’re working with the responsible agencies to obtain approval for the MY16 2.0L TDI vehicles. We are working very hard to get our 4-cylinder TDI business re-started as soon as possible.
· How soon will the remedy be available, and how am I going to be compensated for this?
We cannot offer a firm date now because we need to work on the remedy and review it with the government. We are proceeding as quickly as possible.
· Am I at risk for not passing the emissions test for my state?
We don’t anticipate that customers will have any issues with state registration or inspection. However, any customer encountering such an issue is urged to call VW Customer CARE at
· I want to turn in my vehicle – can I and how?
We are cooperating closely with the regulatory authorities to develop a remedy as quickly as possible. We ask for your patience as we work to get this done
For immediate inquiries please contact VW Owner Customer CARE:
8am – 6pm LOCAL
Monday – Friday